Neutrogena T/Gel Therapeutic Shampoo Original Formula Review

by - 11:27 AM

I've been using this shampoo for a while now as I have dandruff, oily scalp, dry hair, and scalp acne sometimes. This is how the package looks:

You have to press the dent on one side and it opens up.

You can see that I've used more than half of the product.
This is what the product claims, clearly given on the back of both the pack and the bottle.

Those are some pretty attractive and serious claims.
Here's the ingredients also clearly given on the back of both.

This is how the actual shampoo looks.

It is not a very thick consistency but thick enough. Looks like honey but when observed closely has a dark green duo chrome to it which is I think because of the coal tar.

First of all the shampoo smells bad and I got the one which says "new scent" but that doesn't mean it smells flowery. It has kind of a moth ball like smell and it is pretty strong. But I didn't mind the smell as curing my dandruff problem was more important to me. I used it twice a week like they said on the package but alas it did nothing for me. In fact I felt like it sucked out all the oil, including the moisture on my scalp and made it extra dry. And since the rest of my hair is naturally frizzy it made it even more rough. My scalp felt itchy even after I used it twice a week for two weeks and I didn't see any improvement in the dandruff either. In fact the flakiness and itchiness seemed to have become more prominent after I used this shampoo. The scalp acne didn't reduce either.

There have been so many good reviews about it and that's the reason I got it. Also, I trusted Neutrogena as I've used some of their products before and I liked them. Maybe the shampoo didn't work for me as I had a more serious condition? I don't think so, I have a pretty common problem faced by many people I know. After two weeks of use I alternated this shampoo with a herbal shampoo, and started using a conditioner (which I normally don't always). I don't know which shampoo did it but the itching soon after shampooing reduced a little although the dandruff didn't go away entirely and scalp does start itching after two days again. So pretty much I returned back to my previous state when I didn't start using this shampoo. This has been going on for a week now.

A shampoo that claims to do so much and doesn't work even after 3 weeks of use? I don't know what to say. Thank God! I got the smaller 4.4 oz (130 ml) bottle and not the bigger one. The husband who has a serious dandruff issue used it too, and he hasn't seen any improvement either.

I paid $6.69 for it at CVS and that's too much for this product if you ask me even if it had worked. I've used better anti-dandruff shampoos which were cheaper.

The best way to use this shampoo is by diluting it and with a conditioner. If you like applying hair oil then do so a day before you shampoo. That way at least your condition will not worsen. If you don't have so much patience, do not buy this product.

I read a lot of reviews online from people who raved about this product and maybe it is a good product but it honestly has not worked for me. Maybe I should have gone for a more stronger shampoo or maybe I'm allergic to any of the ingredients, I don't know, but I've never used coal tar products before. I've also not been allergic to anything in particular before.

Anyways, I hope the review helps you to decide whether to buy or not.

Overall Rating: D++

Keep Smiling :)
xoxo

You May Also Like

2 comments

  1. hi, may i know where did you bought this shampoo. i tried watson,guardian,sasa but still no luck.
    thx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, never heard of those stores before, where do you live? I live in US and I got it from CVS.

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by :) Let me know what you think about this post or my blog. I'd love to hear from you.